The Airport and Infrastructure Resilience Project seeks to gain a comprehensive understanding of the role Bay Area airports can play in long-term social, economic, and physical recovery from a disaster, given their vulnerabilities, interdependencies on regional infrastructure, and capacity for functioning following a disaster. Read more.
This study builds upon a 2000 ABAG report, entitled Don’t Wing It, which examined the role of airports in disaster response, but found that greater examination was needed around long-term recovery. Bay Area airports serve as an international gateway for business and leisure travelers and cargo shipments and serve as major contributors to our regional economy. Air transportation, while a small segment of the Bay Area’s transportation system, plays a key role in disaster response and recovery activities. To date most transportation disaster planning has focused on restoration of the surface transportation systems (roadways and transit). Little has been done to plan for the restoration of the Bay Area’s airport system or understand the role it plays in disaster response and recovery efforts.
- Airport Liquefaction Susceptibility Analysis Report, May 2013
- Role of Airports in Regional Disaster Response and Recovery, May 2013
- Sub-Regional Infrastructure Vulnerabilities and Interdependencies. Planned completion June 2014.
- Oakland Airport Focus Area Shoreline Resilience Planning (in partnership with BCDC and the Adapting to Rising Tides project). Planned completion June 2014.
The Airport Liquefaction Susceptibility Analysis and Role of Airports in Regional Disaster Response and Recovery reports have been completed. The Airport and Infrastructure Resilience Project is currently conducting the Sub-Regional Vulnerabilities and Interdependencies study and Oakland Focus Area Shoreline Resilience Planning partnership. The project will run from July 2012 through June 2014.
Past meeting Agendas, Minutes, and Presentations
- July 27, 2012 – Advisory Committee
- October 25, 2012 – Advisory Committee
- January 31, 2013 – Advisory Committee
- April 25, 2013 – Advisory Committee
- May 23, 2013 – Special Meeting